by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Trinity News : August 2012
TRINITY NEWS 51 FROM THE ARCHIVES Another Jubilee Year clockwise from top: Jubilee Gates, Opened and dedicated, 19 Jun 1962 | Bishop Chambers visits the Prep School 1962 | Order for Service in the Chapel at the end of Jubilee Week, 24 Jun 1962, autographed by the Founder | The 1914 school photo shows one of the first Chinese boys at Trinity- probably Chiu On In 1962, Trinity celebrated its 50th year of operation as a ‘Jubilee Year’. A week of celebrations was held in June. The Founder of the School - Rt Rev G A Chambers (then aged 85) visited for probably the last time (he died in Dec 1963). A variety of items preserve the memory of this event in the Archives, and while somewhat flat individually, when put together provide a coloureful picture of the occasion. These items include: • Photographs of each event which included the Founder’s visit to the Prep School, the dedication and opening of the Jubilee Gates, a gift presentation to the Founder, dedication of the Memorial Court, a Rugby match, Prep school drama presentation, Cadet Ceremonial Parade, an art exhibition, and an address from the outside pulpit of the Chapel to the whole School on the Quad, and a Scout ceremony. • Colour film footage - (without commentary) shows some of the events, and the present Head Master as a Prep School Monitor, and the Founder being helped up and down the stairs. • Copies of the School Chapel’s Orders of Service. • A detailed report in The Triangle of events - not all events were photographed. • A letter from the Founder expressing his appreciation of events. • Details of the planning of events in the School Council minutes, etc. Solid reminders of these events can be seen in the Summer Hill School grounds The Jubilee Gates on Prospect Rd (opposite Hurlstone Ave), and Jubilee Drive - the roadway between oval No 2 and No 3. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS AT TRINITY Trinity has a long history of enrolling students of diverse backgrounds. Today students of many ethnicities reflect the diverse population of Sydney, and that has long held true at Trinity. The first three Chinese students were enrolled at Trinity in 1914 - Chiu On age 15, Choy Hon Wai age 16, and Joy Ah age 15. These boys were just the beginning of what is now for some ethnic Chinese families a tradition of sending sons to Trinity. Alison Field | Archivist