by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Trinity News : April 2012
48 TRINITY NEWS FROM THE ARCHIVES ALUMNI 80 years at Llandilo February 2012 is also the 50th anniversary of the opening of Trinity’s first new science building, as well as the dedica- tion of the windows in the Memorial Chapel that com- memorate Mr F H J Archer (Head Master 1917-1922), and Rt Rev W G Hilliard (Head Master 1913-1916, 1929-1934 and School Council Chairman 1940-1960). Thank you to those readers who responded to the request for information about orphan photographs. This image of the four Prep boys was identified as the Arnold brothers - Paul, David, Philip and Mark, taken in 1953 or 1954. Alison Field | Archivist 1. Llandilo - main entrance, 1910 2. Llandilo – main entrance, 2012. 3. Science building - opened February, 1962. 4. The Archer Window. 5 . SGS Hat band. 6. Senior Trinity boys outside Llandilo, 1932. 7. Arnold brothers. 8. SGS First XI 1927 1 2 3 4 5 7 6 8 2012 marks the 80th anniversary of Trinity’s occupation of Llandilo, at Strathfield. Originally built as a family home by Sir Philip Sydney Jones in 1878, photos in the School Archives show the house as it looked in 1910. Sir Philip’s grandson - also called Philip - recorded his childhood memories of visiting Llandilo for Christmas - entering via the gates on The Boulevarde, travelling up a red gravel drive to the main entrance portico on the north side. On entering, there was a large room Dining Room on the right and on the left was Sir Philip’s study. The study windows looked out over a croquet lawn toward the city in the east. In 1919 Llandilo became the home of Strathfield Grammar School (SGS). Around the same time that Trinity moved from Dulwich Hill to Summer Hill, SGS was purchased. SGS continued to be run as a separate school, keeping its own name, until 1932 when its pupils’ names appear in the Trinity Admission Register. That same year, it was decided to relocate the whole of Trinity (all 236 pupils) to Llandilo for their lessons. The boys continued to use the Summer Hill site for sport and boarding. After the senior boys’ lessons moved back to Summer Hill in 1938, Llandilo became known as the Preparatory School.